Percent Complete: 100%
Start Date: 10/01/2021
End Date: 12/31/2021
Sports policy to be presented to the Commission for a first and second hearing in December.
Pending final City Commission approval the changes to the sports policy will include the following:
The City’s Sports Policy was officially put into effect for the first time on January 1, 2001 and was most recently updated in September 2019.
The attached Sports Policy is reformatted for ease of use and includes important changes that address current needs as well as incorporating recent direction from the Commission. These changes include:
- Recognized Groups:
- Adding Travel Softball, ages 8 to 18
- Volleyball: Sand Turtles volleyball, ages 6 to 18
- Travel Sports will have a 50/50 resident/non-resident team member ratio
- Sports seasons and playing dates have been changed to reflect current league play
- adding language that they can be used as fundraisers for host organizations
- clarifying scheduling requirements
- adding specific field rental fee discounts based on size of tournament
- Rental permits shall be paid within 48 hours of the submittal of permit application
- Clarifying that open play is only for non-organized resident groups of twelve or less which can use the open play fields.
- Removing language in Article IX regarding advertising rentals on scoreboards
- Clarifying that persons must be 16 or older to rent a batting cage; anyone younger must be accompanied by an adult.
The following new items are being added:
- Establishing the City Manager’s authority to:
- Alter the Sports Policy for a designated timeframe to address emerging issues
- Unrecognize a sports group for specific reasons including violation of the Sports Policy
- Establishing fines and consequences of violations of the Sports Policy
- There shall not be any personal or financial gain for the board members or their family members of the recognized organizations.
- Any recognized program Board member may not serve on any other Board, or run any outside program within the City, that conflicts with a City’s recognized program.
- The City reserves the right to withdraw recognition of any recognized sports group if it determines that the residents of the City are not properly being served by the group or the group is not adhering to this Policy. The decision to withdraw recognition of a recognized sports group shall be determined by the City Manager or the City Commission.
Initiatives: Closed Out/Completed | On Target/In Progress | Behind Schedule/Late | Discussion Needed Retreat/Workshop Item | Delay/Hold | No Milestone | Not Defined
Initiatives: Closed Out/Completed | On Target/In Progress | Behind Schedule/Late | Discussion Needed | Retreat/Workshop Item | Delay/Hold | No Milestone | Not Defined
City of Coral Springs | 9500 West Sample Road, Coral Springs, FL 33065 | 954-344-1000